1957 - Memories of the international guide camp Goms
From 20 July to 2 August 1957 an international scout camp took place in Goms (Upper Valais). The Furka-Oberalp Railway had to cope with the outward and return transport of more than 6000 Girl Scouts and numerous relatives: it carried a total of 36 extra trains and reinforced the scheduled trains to the limit of their capacity. When around 850 people from about 25 nations arrived on 22 July and were dropped off in Goms at all the stations and stops of the FO in internationally mixed troops, the weather was still cool and rainy. But the famous Valais sun was also good for the Girl Scouts.
The "Gommer-Express", consisting of four old two-axle trains of the Rhaetian Railway and a FO steam locomotive, built in 1913, had been provided by the FO at cost price and was operated by the camp management. It operated as a Pfadi shuttle train between Niederwald and Oberwald. A special ticket for camp participants paid with Fr. 1.- entitled to three journeys.
A Gornergrat railway passenger car dating from 1898, which was later to be converted, served as a local girl scout's office in Biel (Goms), the improvised mailboxes of the various branches hung on the side wall and the kitchen for the office staff was in a small tent next to the car.
(Source: VST Revue)
(Pictures: F.A. Volmar, Bern)